Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What is my design philosophy?

My first real assignment in my studio class this quarter was "Who are You and What is Design for You." Whoa! That stopped me in my tracks. I have always be someone that does a good deal of self analyzing, but how can I put the whole of me and my passion for design into a few sentences. 

So I started to brainstorm and writing down words that I associate with myself. Words like driven, passionate, simple, visual, thoughtful, talkative, generous, and creative. Okay so maybe that wasn't so hard. Then I tried to do the same for design. And I got words like holistic, simplicity, elegant, personal, functional, and evolution. Okay so for me...

 holistic + simplicity + elegance + personality + function + evolution 
=
Great Design

Interior design for me, is its purist form, is creating a beautiful space through a holistic exploration of the client's and user's needs. To achieve this ultimate goal there are infinite ways to arrive at this destination.

My personal approach to this challenge is to create spaces that equally marry function with style. By combining my love of the clean, simple, and elegant aesthetic with inspiration that comes from my passion for food, nature, and travel. But most importantly I believe that design should never become stale or commonplace. It should be constantly evolving, moving, changing. 

Lessons Learned
  • One be you, everyone else is taken (okay... okay a little cheesy but still true)
  • Two brainstorming and word associations are my new best friends!

4 comments:

  1. From Tuesday's class critique, I can see you've rethought a few pictures and moved a few around. I can definitely tell it's very YOU! It's very inspiring, elegant, and functional. All aspects that describe you. I also agree with word associations, it's a great way to quickly get words out and not exactly having to ponder on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel every words that you chose is on your collage. I feel this is you after we took class together before. I like your design philosophy that you tell about "equally marries function with style." Also, you bold these words, but I rarely to see it because of your transparent background. I think you may change the font color or make it larger. It might work :)


    PS. so sorry I made mistake

    ReplyDelete